gnucash hangs on older accounts file

Terry fastsnip-bcard at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 12 15:39:21 EST 2008

Andreas Köhler wrote:
> Hi,

>>> Yes - that's what I kept saying.
>>>
>> Okay..  Can you please file a bug report in bugzilla for
>> this issue?  Please feel free to copy the stack track
>> below.
>>
>> Thanks.

Yes - the workaround noted

gzip -cd ${compressed_name} > ${uncompressed_name}

below has allowed me to open the unzipped accounts file.

So the problem wasn't in "gnucash" proper, i.e., the accounting portion
of gnucash, but rather the compression portion.

I find that interesting since when I woke up this morning I intended to
ask how gnucash compressed an accounts file and could I uncompress and
open the uncompressed file. Turns out that is the solution to the problem.

I opened the uncompressed file and saved the new file, compressed of
course, and then exited gnucash and then rebooted gnucash and opened the
new compressed file no problem.

So to summarize the problem is the old compressed file from gnucash
version 1.8.x. The compressed accounts file from the current (well
current for Kubuntu) version, gnucash 2.2.1 reads the new compressed
file just fine.

Of course, you already know this since you gave me the solution to the
problem.

I thank you very much for the solution to the problem. I now have
several years worth of financial information up and running in gnucash
again.

Since 1.8.x didn't allow me to close the books annually, I will have to
learn how to do that with the new version and keep only current
information in the accounts file (at least that's what I surmise 2.2.1
and later do).

Again thank you very much.

Terry