Dates, timestamps, and database back ends

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Jul 22 12:38:03 EDT 2008

Quoting Charles Day <cedayiv at gmail.com>:

> On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 6:53 PM, Glen Ditchfield <GJDitchfield at acm.org>
> wrote:
>
>> If GnuCash is hooked up to a database back end, and users in different time
>> zones on different sides of midnight are accessing it concurrently, what
>> should GnuCash do about storing and displaying dates and timestamps?
>>

> Would use of a database back end mean that concurrent use of GnuCash is
> supported? Because that's news to me. I thought we would still be restricted
> to one user at a time.

Obviously it depends on the DB, but yes, concurrent use of GnuCash *is*
a goal of the DB backend.  It might not happen in the FIRST release, but
it's certainly a desired longer term feature.  It's certainly a feature
of the old PG backend.