DBI backend status

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Jul 31 06:26:51 EDT 2008

Phil Longstaff <plongstaff at rogers.com> writes:

> Andreas Köhler wrote:
>> Hi Phil,
>>
>> On So, 2008-07-27 at 10:09 -0700, Phil Longstaff wrote:
>>> There may, obviously, be bugs.  What is the next step?  Have more
>>> people try it out?  Roll it into trunk?
>>
>> Personally, I would like that.  +1
>>
>> Ciao,
>> -- andi5
>>

> OK, 1 vote to roll it into trunk.  Anyone else?  Any other thoughts?
> Hold off until after the 2.2.6 release?

This is somewhat orthogonal to the 2.2.6 release.  The 2.2 releases
come off the 2.2 branch, not off trunk.  The only major issue is
divergence.  The more trunk diverges the harder it is to cherry-pick
changesets for backport to 2.2.

However, if you feel that the DBI code is ready to get wider
testing then yes, by all means let's move it into trunk.  Keep in mind
that I think that:

1) it should not be required at first (there should remain a
   --enable-dbi configure script)
2) it should not be the default "file" backend (yet -- it should
   be easy to eventually flip a switch to convert from XML to
   SQLite as the 'default' file backend).
3) we will need a tool (eventually) to do migration from XML to
   SQLite once we do make the switch.

I'll note that I have not (yet) tried to build your branch on my
F7 system.