Guile threading

Charles Day cedayiv at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 11:52:54 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 8:34 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> "Charles Day" <cedayiv at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 11:07 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
> >
> >     Keep in mind that most of the gnucash code is NOT thread safe!
> >
> > The whole reason I was thinking about threading was to be able to put
> progress
> > bars directly in the QIF importer druid pages, rather than using popup
> dialogs
> > (gnc_progress_dialog_xxx functions). I thought I could kick off a
> long-running
> > Guile thread, then check its status occasionally and show the user how
> things
> > are progressing. But threading doesn't seem to be an option.
> >
> > So maybe while Guile is running, it could just call a progress reporting
> > function once in a while that updates the druid's widgets. Are there
> existing
> > GnuCash functions that support progress bars and let me specify my own
> > progress bar widget?
> >
> > (My guess would be "no", since the splash screen would seem to be a
> similar
> > case, and it appears to have needed to supply custom functions for
> updating
> > its progress bar.)
>
> Um, I'm fairly sure we have guile wrappers for progress bar
> reporting functions.  Indeed, I'm pretty sure the QIF importer already
> uses them for reading/parsing QIF files!  Search for gnc-progress-dialog
> in qif-import/*.scm

Those functions are the same ones I mentioned above. They manage popup
progress dialogs, whereas I am aiming to have a progress bar integrated into
the druid page. Know of any functions that basically do the same thing as
those, but let me specify existing widgets to use, rather than creating new
ones?