GDA: Status

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue May 27 10:01:13 EDT 2008

Graham Leggett <minfrin at sharp.fm> writes:

> Derek Atkins wrote:
>
>> You know what?  I'd rather get something working with MySQL and SQLite
>> in 6 months, then getting something that MAY work with many more
>> DBs, maybe, if the dependencies fix their issues, in 12-18 months..
>> In other words... Frankly, I don't care about PG.  SQLite is the most
>> important DB in my mind.  MySQL and PG take second seat.   Anything
>> beyond those three take about 10th seat.
>
> PG to me takes the first seat, with MySQL and friends taking second
> seat (but only by preference).
>
> SQLite isn't that exciting for me, as it doesn't do anything that XML
> doesn't already do today. However if SQLite was the "file" format, it
> means that gnucash can behave the same using remote databases as it
> does using the local database.

Eh?  "Doesn't do anything that XML doesn't already do today"?  What
kind of crack are you smoking?!?  (and where can I get some??)

SQLite gives you instantaneous commits, the #1 requested feature to
prevent data loss due to users forgetting to click "save"!  And yes,
the point (in my mind) is to move the default "file" backend from
XML to SQLite; relegating XML to an import/export exchange format
where it belongs.