GDA: Status

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Tue May 27 11:16:18 EDT 2008

Derek Atkins wrote:

> I dont see how any of this gives you automation.  Keep in mind,
> even when GnuCash moves to SQL, it is NOT SUPPORTED to modify the
> database out from under GnuCash.  The DB is *JUST A DATA STORE*.
> GnuCash is not a "DB App", the DB is just a backend data store.

That would be a bug. DB's support transactions, I see no reason why
gnucash wouldn't be expected to use them correctly.

> I'm not sure what you mean by this..  I suppose you could write
> a program to read the contents out of the DB and print/email
> invoices...  But you could already do that now with the XML
> file.   Or better yet, write the code to add this to GnuCash
> itself.

Gnucash is GUI application, "GUI app" and "automation" generally don't mix.

> "online statements"?
> Customer logs into your website and runs a web-app that reads
> your gnucash XML file and displays something to them?
>
> Wow, that's dangerous!

Seriously, which decade do you live in? :)

My energy company offers online statements, my internet provider
provides online statements, even my bank provides online statements.

Regards,
Graham