import/export bounty

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Sep 25 10:02:30 EDT 2008

Mike or Penny Novack <stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com> writes:

> 1) I would need help/mentoring getting started working in an unfamiliar
> environment (Windows on small computers) and at the moment don't have
> tools installed -- no complier, language context sensitive editor, etc.
> I might not even know all the languages but that's not as big a deal as
> it sounds since once you've learned half a dozen, what's one more.

There's no real requirement for primary development to happen on
Windows.  You could use Linux for primary feature development.
The only time you would need a windows dev environment is to
verify windows bugs and/or fixes.

> 2) I wouldn't even consider it if required to "wear multiple hats". If
> you've ever done this "in the real world" you know that it is a very bad
> idea if the person doing the analysis/coding/testing ALSO is the person
> setting the priorities of what SHOULD be done first (project manager) or
> the persons deciding what the application SHOULD be doing and deciding
> if it is or not (end user testers).

I would argue that it's not a fatal flaw to wear multiple hats, but
it certainly can burn you out faster.

I'm certanly happy to provide guidance for what *I* think needs to
get done.  On the other hand my goals may not map to your goals.