Possible improvement to budgets using budget rules

Phil Longstaff plongstaff at rogers.com
Thu Aug 13 20:43:27 EDT 2009

Currently, the libdbi library is used to provide SQL access.  However, the
library is abstracted out, so it would be possible to access the data through
a different library.

There is a core set of tables for the core objects.  The business modules add
another set of tables for the business objects.  I don't know how hard it
would be for you to write a module to gnucash with your budgeting stuff.

Gnucash does have some budgeting support.  The 'budgets' table contains the
basic info for a budget.  Each budget will have an entry in the 'recurrences'
table which describes each budget period (which defaults to 'month' but can be
different).  Then, each budget can have an amount per account per period.
Finally, the budget report shows budget/actual/difference for each period.
I've been doing some work to make the budget report more useful (at least to
me).

It sounds as though your rules provide heuristics and algorithms to generate
the budget amounts per period per account.

Phil