Online OFX import of Investment Statements

Martin Preuss aquamaniac at gmx.de
Mon Jun 8 13:40:01 EDT 2009

Hi,

On Montag, 8. Juni 2009, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Martin Preuss <aquamaniac at gmx.de> writes:
[...]
> > My guess is that the AqBanking import code in GnuCash doesn't expect to
> > encounter  investment data (because until now there wasn't any), so it
> > simply handles everything as bank transactions.
> >
> > I would like to work on that (even though I have some time restraints due
> > to daywork). But since you already spent so much time on improving
> > AqBanking we might as well bring this to actual use for GnuCash.
>
> Thank you!
[...]

After looking into the code I can confirm that the AqBanking-related importer
code in GnuCash indeed doesn't check for the transaction type but simply
treats all transactions as ordinary bank transactions.

I looked into the OFX import code in GnuCash and I believe I found therein
code which seems to be necessary for the AqBanking importer, too.

However, that particular code - function ofx_proc_transaction_cb() in
src/import-export/gnc-ofx-import.c - seems to create a multitude of splits
depending on the investment transaction type.

Since I'm no stock owner I have no idea what to make of those splits and
transactions...

So I need some help: Could someone please explain what number and kind of
transactions and splits need to be created when importing investment
transactions? There seems to be special handling for REINVEST and INCOME type
investment transactions...

BTW: Such a note might also be worth adding to the development wiki (if there
is one) for future reference.

Thanks in advance
Martin

--
"Things are only impossible until they're not"

Martin Preuss - http://www2.aquamaniac.de/
AqBanking - http://www.aqbanking.de/
LibChipcard - http://www.libchipcard.de/