Website download section
janssens-geert at telenet.be
Thu Nov 12 10:18:51 EST 2009
I have made some progress with my proposals.
To see the intermediate result, surf to:
(Just ignore the php safe mode warnings. They are caused by my hosting
provider but not relevant for the changes and will not appear on the official
What I did so far:
* Added a new page for downloading. While trying to organize all the different
download mechanisms I came to the conclusion there are too many to fit on the
start page. So instead I have created a new page where all the possible
download/installation options are grouped together. This page has
- direct one-click links to the installers we have available,
- information on how to install on linux using the native install tools
- links to the source files
- general links to the sourceforge download page (for those that want to
download something not explicitly listed on this new page)
These links are grouped in stable and unstable, with a small introduction.
* On the start page, I added a highly visible floating box with download links
for GnuCash. Windows and MacOS X users can download the latest stable release
installer for their platform with a single click. For all other downloads, I
refer to the newly added download page.
* In the navigation menu, I removed the separate download options and instead
the Download item itself is now a link to the download page. I figured it
didn't make much sense to duplicate this information again.
* PACKAGE MAINTAINERS, this bit is important for you. To minimize the amount
of changes required when a new download is available (either a new stable
release or in case of MacOS X a new stable subrelease), I have extracted the
version information into a separate file: externals/global_params.php. This
file contains a number of php variable declarations that are used extensively
on the download page and in the download section on the startpage. Whenever a
new GnuCash is released, please update the relevant variable in this file.
What I have not done yet:
* Fix the release news items
* Translations. The new elements are gettextized though, so ready to be
translated. I prefer to wait with this until I have had some feedback on the
actual texts. They may still change.
* General: please have a look at http://www.kobaltwit.be/gnucash/phtml and
give your feedback (again: just ignore the php safe mode warnings).
* I'm not a native English speaker (Dutch is my mother tongue), so my phrasing
and choice of words may be suboptimal. Suggestions for improvements are
* The original site had links to a USA and a European sourcecode-only "mirror"
(for the lack of a better word). I have added those to the source code section
on the download page, but not quite as they were before. I have added direct
links to the source tarball for the latest stable release, instead of showing
the full directory listing. Is such a directory listing still required ? I
could add it to the "Other" section at the end of the page. Note that the
European mirror still has issues in that case as I mentioned in a previous
* As for generating a patchset later on: I have added a new page, a new php
script and two new icons and I have changed two existing files. What is the
best way to deliver this to someone with svn access ? svn diff doesn't seem to
handle binary files.
* I have added short descriptions on how to install GnuCash for a number of
Linux distributions via their native software installer tools. The ones that
are there are those I use myself (plus the line Tim provided for Ubuntu).
There are still some popular distros missing like openSUSE, Kubuntu, Gentoo,
Debian,... I don't know about the installer tools in those distros. If anyone
wants to add a line for another distro, just let me know.
More information about the gnucash-devel