Website download section

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Thu Nov 12 15:35:01 EST 2009

Am Donnerstag, 12. November 2009 schrieb Geert Janssens:
> To see the intermediate result, surf to:
> http://www.kobaltwit.be/gnucash/index.phtml

Looks very good!

> * Added a new page for downloading. (...)
>   - direct one-click links to the installers we have available,
>   - information on how to install on linux using the native install tools

Yes, good idea and solution. Indeed on Linux we can't offer a "click here to
download", but rather have to point people back to their distro.

> * On the start page, I added a highly visible floating box with download
>  links for GnuCash. Windows and MacOS X users can download the latest
>  stable release installer for their platform with a single click. For all
>  other downloads, I refer to the newly added download page.

Good solution. Different from the other response here, I think the box in the
current form is just fine - indeed we have the binaries only for Win and Mac,
and the others need other directions.

> What I have not done yet:
> * Fix the release news items
> * Translations. The new elements are gettextized though, so ready to be
> translated. I prefer to wait with this until I have had some feedback on
>  the actual texts. They may still change.

I can work on the German translation once you've finished with this, but it is
not a problem to have parts of the German page show up in English for a few
days or weeks. (The news items are in English anyway.)

> * The original site had links to a USA and a European sourcecode-only
>  "mirror" (for the lack of a better word). I have added those to the source
>  code section on the download page, but not quite as they were before. I
>  have added direct links to the source tarball for the latest stable
>  release, instead of showing the full directory listing. Is such a
>  directory listing still required ?

No, IIRC we only kept this because at each new series we keep forgetting to
update the link here.

> * As for generating a patchset later on: I have added a new page, a new php
> script and two new icons and I have changed two existing files. What is the
> best way to deliver this to someone with svn access ? svn diff doesn't seem
>  to handle binary files.

(git would handle binaries, "git format-patch" would do the trick, but:) In
this case a simple tarball of all you have is just fine, plus a list of files
which need to be deleted, if any.

Regards,

Christian (out of town for a few days, but I'll reply next week.)