Website download section

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Nov 13 12:14:47 EST 2009

On Nov 13, 2009, at 1:38 AM, Geert Janssens wrote:

> On Thursday 12 November 2009, Geert Janssens wrote:
>
> Sourceforge is working again, so I tested these new links.
>
> They work fine, but there is some weirdness going on with the mirror
> screen.
>
> When I click on a link on my new download page, I see the mirror
> screen
> flashing in between. But when I copy a link from the download page,
> open a new
> browser window, paste the link and then hit enter, there's no mirror
> screen
> flashing. When I click on the link in the email you sent, it won't
> flash the
> mirror screen. But in all three cases the link used is exactly the
> same.
> "
> So to me it seems sourceforge is treating redirects differently
> based on the
> referrer link in the html header or it's using some cookie magic.
> And that's
> something out of my control.
>
> Can you test this as well ?

I got the same results.

Interestingly, if I copy the contents of your page into a file and
display the file in Firefox, I don't get the redirect screen either.
That suggests that it's neither cookie magic (since the only cookies
it can see with my setup are the ones it sets itself) nor anything in
the html header (since those are also the same). There must be
something in the http headers... truly something beyond our control.

Anyway, not a big deal. Probably the best solution is to keep a copy
of the Readme on the Gnucash.org website and just link to that (copies
and those, actually, because there's a separate one for unstable).

Regards,
John Ralls