How to translate .schemas string (Whether or not translate the string in the quote?)

Mark Haanen i18n at haanen.net
Mon Apr 26 13:47:34 EDT 2010

Op maandag 26-04-2010 om 14:09 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef Christian
Stimming:
> Zitat von Dancefire <dancefire at gmail.com>:
> > [Christian Stimming:]
> >> BUT for your translation work you should keep in mind that this string as
> >> well as all the others from the .schemas file will probably never be visible
> >> inside gnucash, so they are clearly less important for normal gnucash users.
> >
> > If those string will not likely be shown to user, is that possible
> > remove them from the .pot file so that translators will not necessary
> > to struggle on those strings. I have translated many of them, and
> > finally realize something might be wrong.
>
> Yes, I know. This is a fundamental problem of the po file format - all
> strings are equal in there, and there isn't any easy method to assign
> something that looks like priorities or similar. I know the file is
> big, but I'm very sorry that we can't easily solve this problem.

I have a suggestion on another solution. In many cases, strings appear
nearly the same inside the .scheme-files and the UI-files. For an
example of this I point to messages 1634 and 2034, which only differ by
the period at the end. From a translator's point of view, it would be
preferrable if these were _exactly_ identical, as this reduces the
number of messages to translate. However, I have absolutely no clue as
to whether or not this would break compatibility...

Mark