Bug 611936 and the 2.4.0 release

Mike Evans mikee at saxicola.idps.co.uk
Tue Aug 10 09:15:46 EDT 2010

On Tuesday August 10 2010 00:32:41 John Ralls wrote:
> On Aug 9, 2010, at 12:03 PM, Geert Janssens wrote:
> > Mike and John,
> >
> > Thank you both for your feedback (here and on the bug report).
> >
> > I think it's safe to conclude that sqlite3 doesn't fly on Fedora 12 (3
> > independent reports so far), it doesn't work on Mandriva 2010.0 either.
> >
> > It does work on OS X though, which also uses libdbi-0.8.3.
> > Debian is still using 0.8.2 currently.
> > It'd be useful to hear from other platforms as well, like openSuSE (at
> > least 10.2 ships libdbi 0.8.3).
> >
> > Is sqlite3 support on Fedora imporant enough to consider this bug
> > blocking for 2.4 ? I would think so as the db support is a major feature
> > for 2.4 and sqlite3 is the candidate to become the future default
> > backend.
> >
> > Do you agree on this ?
>
> Depends. If there's really something that we did wrong in Gnucash, then
> yes, we need to fix that. But it sure smells like it's a problem in
> Fedora's build of libdbi. That's why I suggested that you build all three
> (libdbi, libdbi-drivers, and sqlite3) from source (they're quite small, it
> won't take long). If it still reproduces, then you've got sources and can
> do a debug build of those three libraries and find the problem. If it
> doesn't reproduce, then it's not our problem and there's no reason to hold
> up the release.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls
I've removed the sqlite
rpm -e --nodeps sqlite
yum remove sqlite-devel
yum remove libdbi
yum remove libdbi-dbd-mysql
yum remove libdbi-dbd-sqlite

Dsqlite-3.7.0.1ownloaded sources:
sqlite-3.7.0.1
libdbi-0.8.3
libdbi-drivers-0.8.3-1

Built all and installed to /usr/local/...

On saving I get the error dialog with:
"The server at URL sqlite3:///PATH/sqlite.gnucash experienced an error or
encountered bad or corrupt data."

On subsequent re-loading of that file all transactions are blank with zero
balance.
However after doing "make debug" in libdbi-0.8.3, subsequent re-loading of the
same file shows transactions as they should be.  It appears then that the issue
is with libdbi?  The save error still exists though when saving data from an
xml to sqlite file.

Not sure where to go from here but I guess we can say it's not GnuCash that's
at fault.  Thanks John for suggesting sources.

Any thoughts on who to send a bug report to, RedHat or libdbi team?

Mike E

--
GPG Key: 1024D/050895C2
Keyserver: http://pgp.mit.edu/