GnuCash on CentOS 5 (libdbi too recent)

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Tue Jan 26 11:26:28 EST 2010

On Tuesday 26 January 2010, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> writes:
> > That was exactly my next step.
> >
> > RHEL as target platform is in serious trouble...
> >
> > 1. There's no packaged webkit for RHEL5/EPEL
> > 2. RHEL5 (base) ships libdbi 0.8.1, but GnuCash uses DBI_DECIMAL_SIZEMASK
> > a constant that is only defined starting from libdbi 0.8.2.
> >
> > I'm not sure how to proceed here. I thought webkit and dbi were the two
> > major features to warrant the 2.4 release. If they're not possible on
> > RHEL, can we say then that we support RHEL ?
>
> Well..  if webkit isn't packaged at all then it's a clear candidate for
> EPEL once GnuCash gets released.

True, provided EPEL can build a webkit version that is recent enough for
GnuCash. Or in other words, that webkit's dependencies in RHEL are recent
enough that EPEL can build the webkit version GnuCash requires.

> A too-old libdbi, however, might be a bit of a problem for us.

Unless it's not too difficult to lower the libdbi requirement. I don't know
the code that uses libdbi, but maybe it's only small changes to satisfy 0.8.1
instead of 0.8.2.

> Note that there have been many other updates and bugfixes that don't
> require dbi (or necessarily webkit).
>
> > Phill, if you read this, it may be a good idea to set a minimum required
> > version for libdbi in configure.in...
> >
> > Geert
>
> -derek

Geert