i need access to the gnucash source code and a recommendation of a good IDE

Jeff Warnica jeff at coherentnetworksolutions.com
Mon Jul 5 09:53:28 EDT 2010

http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Windows seems to have what (little) Windows
specific development documentation there is. It doesn't mention any specific
IDE. I really have no idea, but I would guess that most Gnuchash developers
are using something which might be what comes to mind when one thinks "IDE".
That is, something like Emacs which is a really really fancy text editor,
but doesn't do continuous builds, or procedure/method completion and inline
documentation one gets with Java and Eclipse, say.

You aren't going to get much help unless you help yourself. I'd try to see
what happens, trying to compile using http://www.mingw.org/. Or trying to
setup a cygwin environment, and compiling with that (though, that might not
count as being Windows...) IDE wise, there is no silver bullet. Get
something better then notepad plus a command box. Jedit is reasonable.
Eclipse with CDT might be worth trying. CDT does have those fancy 21st
century IDE features, but (I havent tried with Gnucash), for C/C++ stuff
they do tend to require a very specific coding approach, Gnucash sources
perhaps being too complicated for the fancyness to work.

Most of the documentation for the source is in the source, I would guess.
Extending the source is easy: get a text editor, and extend it. If you have
some specific question, I'm sure you will get help. But helping you with
setting up a development environment really isn't any Gnucash devs job.

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 10:36 AM, adekoya adekunle <adekunleadekoya at gmail.com