Will text be lost by over extending the right column boundary?

Tom Bullock tbullock at nd.edu
Wed Jul 28 20:51:29 EDT 2010

Developers,

In working on making a patch, I use gedit as my text editor and set the
right column boundary to 80.  Because I wrote some of my patch without
regard to the boundary, I found that when I inserted it into the module,
there was much that overflowed that boundary.

I then changed each line so that it stayed within that boundary.  When I
created my patch I saw some lines that overflowed that boundary, if only
by just one or two characters.  That was because the svn diff process
inserts plus and minus characters and a couple separating spaces on the
left margin and shifts all to the right.

My question is what latitude is there in paying attention to that right
boundary?  Will any characters being listed in columns 81 and after be
dropped?  If not, how much latitude is there in the system?  What do
experienced patch writers use?

TIA for all help.

Tom