Makefile indentation

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Thu Jun 10 12:50:17 EDT 2010

On Thursday 10 June 2010, Derek Atkins wrote:
> On Thu, June 10, 2010 12:24 pm, Geert Janssens wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Thanks to Christian's fine work our c sources and header files are now
> > consistently indented.
> >
> > I am about to make a number of changes in several Makefile.am files and
> > notice
> > the indentation is a mess. Sometimes tabs are used, sometimes spaces, or
> > even
> > combinations of both.
> >
> > What is the preferred way to indent Makefiles ? If there is some
> > consensus I
> > can fix the ones I am about to change anyway (obviously in a separate
> > commit).
> >
> > Since we've chosen for space indentation in the c files, perhaps it's
> > best to
> > continue this practise for the makefiles, like 4 spaces per indentation
> > level.
> >
> > Any comments ?
>
> Historically Makefiles *required* tabs.
>
> > Geert
>
> -derek

Good point. Did it require tabs for *every* indentation ? Or only for make
recipes ?

There are a lot of line continuations in variable definitions, which I suppose
could simply be with spaces.

But in any case, if tabs are required for recipes, I'd consider that a good
motivation to consistently use tabs where-ever possible.

So unless someone disagrees, it will be tabs.

Geert