Proposals/feedback for a distributed version control system for cutecash?

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Sat Mar 27 15:42:03 EDT 2010

Am Samstag, 27. März 2010 schrieb Colin Law:
> >> What would other devs around here choose as distributed VCS for a new
> >> project, and why? Do you know of any hosting sites with that VCS that
> >> offers continuous tracking of the original SVN branch?
> >
> > I'll note that both Linux and GNOME use git. They are both far larger
> > projects than Gnucash, so scalability is very obviously not a concern.

Yes. The remark concering "our size" shouldn't indicate concerns about whether
we are "too big"; rather, some DVCS systems which don't scale well for very
large projects might still be interesting for gnucash as a medium-sized
project here.

> > The only complaint I've heard about git is that it isn't well supported
> > on MSWin; the author of that complaint (Vadim Zeitlin of wxWidgets,
> > another very large project) preferred Hg -- until he spent some time with
> > git and realized that its power and flexibility left Hg in the dust.
>
> For windows developers TortoiseGit was developing well and fully
> usable before I left windows a little time ago.

TortoiseGIT helps git go a long way on Windows, but having used it myself I
have to say some of its functions are still unexpectedly slow. In particular,
some of the use cases which are particularly fast in gitk (browsing through
hundreds of commits) are rather slow in TortoiseGIT, even slower than a
comparable operation in TortoiseSVN (when the SVN server is in a local
network, though). Hence, even though TortoiseGIT is a usable client on
Windows, I would recommend it only with a grain of salt and recommend those
developers to have a look at git on Linux...

Regards,

Christian