Announcing a new sub-project in gnucash: GUI in C++, Qt, CMake.

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Mon Mar 29 11:47:09 EDT 2010

Am Montag, 29. März 2010 schrieb Colin Law:
> 2010/3/4 Christian Stimming <stimming at tuhh.de>:
> > Announcing a new sub-project in gnucash: The non-GUI parts are re-used in
> > the state they are, in the C language. This means the double-entry
> > principles and all of the other achievments in the "engine" and
> > xml-backend and eventually other backends can be re-used. But the GUI is
> > rewritten completely new, from scratch, in C++ and using the Qt toolkit.
> > Fun again. The build system is CMake because its configuration runs
> > magnitudes faster. Fun again. And as a final bonus, for MS windows more
> > compiler than before are supported, namely this whole new project can be
> > compiled by MS Visual Studio as well. So here it is:
>
> If doing a major rewrite of the UI, has the idea of a browser based
> I/F been considered?

GnuCash has the notion of working on "one single opened file". This is
inherently difficult to implement with a browser-based interface. It is surely
not impossible. But *I* have no experience in such sort of applications, so
for *me* this would be very hard.

Writing a GUI in Qt/C++ OTOH is rather easy for me. That's why *I* started
this experiment, and I wanted to see the benefit that comes out for the user.

Regards,

Christian