Transaction Report

Yawar Amin yawar.amin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 17:17:24 EDT 2010

Hi there,

On 2010-09-08, at 16:40, Manfred Jung wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm new to the list, so bear with me.  Looking around I found only very limited info on Transaction Reports. I am willing to investigate this option in GC and eventually write a tutorial. But in order to do a good job I need to find out a few things:

The good thing is, you're in the right place to ask :-) A tutorial for transaction reports sounds like it might go somewhere in the Concepts Guide (see below).

> 1. What is already written on the subject

To simply look at the documentation, go to [1]. To make changes, read on.

Source Control
All GnuCash source code and documentation are kept under source control. You can browse the docs in their raw form at [2]. The docs for the latest unstable version of GnuCash are under the `trunk' directory, while the docs for the current stable 2.2 series are under `branches/2.2'.

Wiki
People have, from time to time, created pages in the GnuCash wiki [3] about many different topics concerning GnuCash documentation, tips and tricks, and development. The wiki is easily searchable and editable. If you're not familiar with the repository checkout + hacking + patch mailing method of contributing to open source projects, you can easily create your own page with your changes and ask people here to review them.

Bugzilla
People also heavily use the Bugzilla bug management system [4] to document GnuCash issues, requests, annoyances and such. Each bug's page is like a mini-journal where they can track the issue as they work on it, posting pictures and other file attachments to document their efforts. Bugzilla is also easily searchable: for example, [5] is a search for all GnuCash issues which are about documentation _or_ reports.

> 2. Are there any significant changes on this feature in the upcoming version.

As far as I know, the biggest development in custom reporting is the new eguile module [6] which the developers are encouraging everyone to use. This is a general reporting development, not specifically targeting just transaction reports.

Hope this helps,

Yawar

[1] http://www.gnucash.org/docs.phtml
[2] http://svn.gnucash.org/trac/browser/gnucash-docs
[3] http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GnuCash
[4] http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Bugzilla
[5] https://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced;bug_status=UNCONFIRMED;bug_status=NEW;bug_status=ASSIGNED;bug_status=REOPENED;bug_status=NEEDINFO;component=Documentation;component=Reports;product=GnuCash
[6] http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Custom_Reports_Using_Eguile