GSOC 2011 Idea : Business Integration with Cutecash

samir sam1487 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 09:15:17 EDT 2011

Hellow,
I am very interested in developing an end for GnuCash that serves a business
need. A POS module for GnuCash seems to be an excellent option to make
GnuCash more useful. A POS application, in it's own right, is very widely
needed and used for shops all over the world. Integrating such an end to
GnuCash will be able to serve a different class of users in addition to its
current users.

With this in mind, I want to develop a POS module for GnuCash. However, as
the direct users of this module should be less involved with the accounts
module, and would probably have a superficial technical knowledge, I think
the UI should be more direct, intuitive and very easy to use. As it meets
one of the goals of Cutecash, I would like to develop this new module into
Cutecash, the reason being the ease of developing UI with Qt. Another
motivation behind developing in Cutecash is that it can be built in MS
Windows platform. A lot of clients willing to use a POS application will
prefer it on a MS Windows machine.

To summarize, my idea is to * create a POS module preferably for Cutecash*.

I have preliminary plans to layout the design of the POS module.

Please let me know if its an acceptable idea.

Thank you very much.
Samir