2.6 Release -- SCheme

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Sat Dec 31 17:46:50 EST 2011

--On December 31, 2011 6:22:55 PM +0000 Hendrik Boom
<hendrik at topoi.pooq.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 18:19:58 +0100, Geert Janssens wrote:
>
> This is probably a more drastic change than guile 2.0, but:
>
> There's another implementation of Scheme available that actually
> compiles  Scheme to C or C++ -- Gambit-C.  You can actually embed C++
> code within  the C code, even #include stuff.  There's also an
> interpreter, but the  interpreter doesn't have embedded C/C++ code,
> though it can call  previously compiled code that does.  The Debian
> package is called gambc. I have no idea whether this would be easier
> to use and maintain than  using guile.

I don't know anything about Gambit-C, but it's also available in
MacPorts on MacOSX.  The description sounds promising.  The home page
is at <http://dynamo.iro.umontreal.ca/~gambit/wiki/index.php/Main_Page>
where they also link to Windows (and iPad!) installers.

         Mike