Total Crash and Lost Data

Donald Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 12:30:01 EST 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 12:20 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 18 January 2011 16:59, Donald Allen <donaldcallen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 11:48 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com>
wrote:

>>> However it is also unfortunately true that for some time the principle
>>> download link on the home page was to the alpha version and it was not
>>> at all clear that it was an alpha version.  I can quite see how users
>>> found themselves running this thinking they had a stable release.
>>
>> That conflicts with what I've seen on the website.
>
> Note that I said "for some time".  The website was much improved some
> time in October I think.  See also

http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/Status-of-gnucash-need-for-clarification-tt1434648.html#a1434650

The announcement for 2.3.4 on 2009-08-19 reads:

GnuCash 2.3.4 (Unstable) released

The GnuCash development team proudly announces GnuCash 2.3.4, the fifth of
several unstable 2.3.x releases of the GnuCash Free Accounting Software
which will eventually lead to the stable version 2.4.0. With this new
release series, GnuCash can use an SQL database using SQLite3, MySQL or
PostgreSQL. It runs on GNU/Linux, *BSD, Solaris, Microsoft Windows and Mac
OSX.

*WARNING:* This is an *UNSTABLE* version of Gnucash.

This release is intended for developers and testers who want to help
tracking down all those bugs that are still in there.

Make sure you make backups of any files used in testing versions of GnuCash
in the 2.3.x series. Although the developers go to great lengths to ensure
that no data will be lost we cannot guarantee that your data will not be
affected if for some reason GnuCash crashes in testing these releases.

*NOTE:* The latest stable version is 2.2.9.