Interactive Javascript + Canvas (Flot) powered graphs

Andy Clayton q3aiml at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 12:22:05 EST 2011

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 3:46 AM, Christian Stimming <stimming at tuhh.de>
 wrote:

> Zitat von Andy Clayton <q3aiml at gmail.com>:
>
> Different from John's idea about additionally dropping scheme, I think your
> proposal doesn't touch the report creation code, which is where we are using
> the majority of scheme code. So your proposal doesn't touch the scheme
> question anyway. Your code will be changing the presentation of the (chart)
> reports, but the generation of the numbers that are shown in the reports is
> a different matter and will continue to be done in scheme. This may not be
> the best solution, but changing that to a different platform (python,
> javascript, ruby etc) firstly requires suitable wrappers of the gnucash
> engine for that language, which we have for scheme and partly for python but
> surely not for javascript.

Right. I saw some of the prior rumblings about replacing the current report
framework, and while I don't disagree I figured I would first start with
something simpler and quicker. I do have an extremely simple module thrown
together so that python can be used from within gnucash, but rewriting the
report framework in python (or any other language) looks like it would take
significant time. It might also make sense to see if any of the scheme
report utility functions should be pushed up to C/C++ so that other
languages would be able to use them. Plus I was considering lobbying for a
cleanup of the Python api before trying to use it to replace part of core,
unless of course there is some system behind the mixed CamelCase and
underscore functions I am missing. But that's a whole other topic...

Andy