Next Release - and Documentation release ?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Jul 1 18:18:47 EDT 2011

On Jul 1, 2011, at 9:26 AM, Geert Janssens wrote:

> On vrijdag 1 juli 2011, John Ralls wrote:
>> Are we waiting on something to do this release (or releases, if all the doc
>> changes are in svn and ready for release)?
>>
> Not as far as I'm concerned, no.
>
>> Geert, you're an admin on the sourceforge project, so while you already
>> have release and shell access to upload to frs, even if you didn't you
>> could fix it yourself. 652350 seems to be about setting up a formal
>> release process. We can do that, but I don't think that's a prerequisite
>> for releasing 2.4.7. See the Sourceforge docs on how to use the files page
>> (or just go to it; they've made using it pretty obvious.)
>>
> I wasn't aware I had become an admin on our sourceforge page.  Indeed in that
> case I could make any changes necessary.
>
>> I've got some errands to run, but if no one objects and no one else has
>> done so, I'll update the version numbers, tag the versions, and make dist
>> this afternoon. (Three changes, right? Gnucash itself 2.4.7, Gnucash-Docs
>> 2.2.2, and Gnucash-Docs 2.4.1?)
>>
> Ok for me.
>
> Once the tags are in, I'll try to come up with a news article for the two
> documentation releases, and put the documentation on our website.

I've committed the version change to Gnucash itself and started making the tag. That turns out to be a lengthy process in Git-svn, it may take an hour or so.

The trunk documents are in kind of a strange state. They were tagged 5 months ago (when we released 2.4.0) as 2.4.0, but configure.in wasn't changed and nobody put a tarball up on Sourceforge. On the other hand, we have a docs/2.4 directory in the website containing what appear to be 2.3.7 documents copyright 2001-2007 Chris Lyttle -- who appears not to have committed anything since, but that might be because the appropriate page never got updated. I'll look into fixing that up so that Christian and Yawar get some credit.

But I wonder, since it seems we've never actually done a 2.4 documents release, should this be 2.4.0 (and I delete the existing 2.4.0 tag and make a new one) or should I not worry too much about 2.4.0 and just call this 2.4.1?

Regards,
John Ralls