Error compiling trunk under Natty (libwebkit 1.0)

Christian Stimming christian at cstimming.de
Thu Jul 28 09:21:21 EDT 2011

Am Donnerstag, 28. Juli 2011 schrieb Micha Lenk:
> Hi Derek,
>
> Am 27.07.2011 13:48, schrieb Derek Atkins:
> > Cristian Marchi<cri79 at libero.it>  writes:
> >> A search for "web*.pc" in my system lead to these results:
> >>
> >> /usr/lib/pkgconfig/webkit-1.0.pc
> >> /usr/lib/pkgconfig/webkitgtk-3.0.pc
> >>
> >> That's the best I can do...
> >
> > Ah, I bet we need to update configure to look for webkitgtk-3.0
>
> Please be aware that (at least on Debian) both libraries are built from
> the same source. The one that ships webkit-1.0.pc is built with GTK+ 2,
> whereas the one that ships webkitgtk-3.0.pc is built with GTK+ 3. And as
> far as I know [1] Gnucash isn't ready for GTK+ 3 yet. So, as long as
> Gnucash isn't ready for GTK+ 3, I see no need to look for webkitgtk-3.0
> in the configure script.
>
>   1.
> http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-devel/2011-February/031191.html

This is completely correct: Gnucash is not yet ready for gtk-3. So we should
not look for webkitgtk-3.0.pc as this is not (yet) the correct package for us.

This begs the question: What went wrong at Cristian's installation and how
should this be fixed the right way? Was there a packaging error in the
webkit-1.0-dev package?

Christian