Is it possible to change an already committed commit message?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Mar 13 15:11:39 EDT 2011

On Mar 13, 2011, at 10:30 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Okay, gnucash-docs r20415 log property has been fixed.
> Note that in git you cannot change that information!

No, you can change *anything* in git. It's rude if you've pushed the thing you're changing, because it will change the hash for that revision and screw up everyone who's pulled it, but anything can be changed. It's particularly easy to change the immediately previous commit -- and note that since commits are local until explicitly pushed, you have a chance to fix anything since your last push if you messed something up. Since it's a two-step process with git-svn (commit to git then run git svn dcommit to commit to subversion), Cristian might well have been able to fix this before he'd sent it off to subversion.

You're also less likely to make such mistakes if you use git-gui (or GitX on a mac), which lets you pick individual files or even diff fragments from within files to organize a set of commits.

What I'm not sure about is what effect changing an existing commit in subversion will have on the mirror update. This one fell in between, the last update having been 20341, so we won't find out this time.

Regards,
John Ralls