Initial Draft application for Python Scripting Engine

Rahul Gaur rahul.nbg at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 11:35:40 EDT 2011

  Dear Christian,

  I've made some corrections to my application.Is it better now ?what more
should I add ..?

Apart from this I've thinking of introducing a feature so that generated
reports can directly be exported to some cloud service so that user have
the access to reports even on a report system.If any thing similar to this
is in the loop  please let me know.

 *Basic Information*

Student name:Rahul Gaur

Location: Meerut City , UP ,India,

Home Town :New Delhi ,India

Email:rahul.nbg at gmail.com

Instant messaging contact details (Skype or similar):iamaregee/iamaregee2 on
IRC (irc.ubuntu.com)

Phone : +91-8755426793

*Background/Programming Information:*

I've experience of building GNU cash from source via SVN on a linux system.A
few years ago,I learned C++ and Java as a part of my School curriculum.While
this is my first year in college ,Now I am pursuing Bachelors in Engineering
and my Major is in Computer Science.So I am learning C and Python here in
College.By the time GsoC 2011 starts ,I will be done with my end semester
exams and equiped with skills to work full time on coding,so I wan't to do
some good project in order to strengthen my foundations in understanding of
Sofware Systems.

*What project in GnuCash would you like to work on?*

I would Like to work on Python reporting and Scripting engine for Gnu cash
over my summer vacations.

*What will be the result of your project :*

Upon the successful development of the scripting engine ,primarily all the
current reporting scripts will be migrated to python plus it will open the
possibilites of implementing various new financial reports as python has a
vast  accounting library support.For instance libraries like matplotlib,
PyCompta can be used to genrate graphs and reports in xml,html and pdf
formats.While in the long run,python being a more common scripting
language,it will be easier for developers to contribute to the code and
improve the efficiency.

*How do you propose to solve the problem(s) posed in the project you'd like
to work on?*

*Project Schedule :*

While I plan to follow the description given in the idea of the
proposal.I've already familiarised my self with the working of GNU cash (v
2.4.4 SVNr20419).I took a brief idea of sample python scripts.As I've
already stated , I've my University exams from 8th to 30thof May ,so during
this period I will be in touch with the GNUCash community through
emails.During the time before exams ,I hope to :

   -

   Get to know the mentor and other community members.
   -

   Going through Devloper Docs.
   -

   Understand working of the reporting engine.
   -

   Brainstorm plans with the community.

After I am Done with my exams , I plan to Procede as follows :

*Program time-line :*

   -

   To create a more accurate programing timetable.
   - Initial step would be to work on already included python patch in order
   build the scripting engine which interacts with gnu cash and do the
   functions like accessing the entries in the Database.This will be
   followed by working on the reporting engine,which primarily involves
   migrating all of the current reporting scripts to python.This milestone
   will be done with implementing various  python libraries like
   quantalib,matplotlib and other similar libraries for various reports.
   - Then I will work on extending python programs with C which involves
   modifying current C programs to support new python engine .
   - Updating community of my progress weekly via blog updates.
   - Will spend some time tweaking the User interface, in order to make it
   more appealing and convenient.
   -

   Start with testing and improving throughput of the code before midterm
   evaluations (ie: july 15th ).
   -

   Start pulling together the documentation and coding.

   - While in testing phase , I will also finish writing documentations as
   well.