Reporting system and potentially Python

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Wed Nov 16 00:47:10 EST 2011

On Wed, November 16, 2011 12:40 am, John Ralls wrote:

> On Nov 15, 2011, at 9:16 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:
>
>> Hi,

>>> Has anyone ever tried using the gnome 2 Guile bindings and whatever is
>>> the
>>> g_object_get mechanism from Guile?
>>
>> Probably not, because I don't think it existed in a sufficient maturity
>> the last time we did a scheme generator migration (g-wrap -> swig).
>> What
>> is the current maturity of these bindings?  How supported are they?  Are
>> they being actively developed and maintained?  What does it buy us that
>> we
>> don't already have?
>
> It's different from gwrap or swig (that would be gobject-introspection,
> which doesn't appear to be well supported,
> unfortunately). Rather, it is a guile "library" like slib or ice-9 that
> permits calling GObject functions without explicitly
> wrapping subclasses. It would let us simplify the API by e.g., not having
> to export explicit getters/setters, directly using
> GObject memory management, and so on.
>
> (FWIW, Python integration with both GObject and GObject-Introspection is
> both extensive and very actively developed. Were we starting now we'd have
> to be nuts to pick Guile over Python.)

If we were starting now we'd probably not be using C at all (and I'd argue
whether or not we should be using gnome/gtk/glib, either).  But alas we
have over a decade of legacy code that's had thousands of man-hours of
work to get us where we are, and it would be a shame to give all that up.

We can play the "what if" games or think about how we could have done
things better if we could start over, but I feel it would be a better use
of our time to look forward instead of looking back.

> Regards,
> John Ralls

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745