Reporting system - declarative

Donald Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 09:52:11 EST 2011

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 9:46 AM, Donald Allen <donaldcallen at gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
>> >
>> > <<report ...
>> > ..<<defs
>> > ....<<def-date ...>>
>> > ....<<def-date ...>>
>> > ..>>
>> >>>

>> > then do a search-and-replace to turn that back into Scheme. We might
>> > overcome a lot of phobia if we hide the fact that we’re really making
>> > them write Scheme :-)
>>
>> There's also the use of [ ] in the old much-forgotten Lisp 1.5
>> metalanguage -- using foo[a, b, c] instead of (foo a b c).  Perhaps foo[a
>> b c] would suffice.  And C uses context-prefixed curly brackets, as in do
>> { ... } and else{ ... }.
>>

>> > Another thing we could recommend is lining up the parens below the
>> > function names on multi-line function calls. I mean:
>> >
>> > (report ...
>> > ..(defs
>> > ....(def-date ...)
>> > ....(def-date ...)
>> > ..)
>> > )
>> >
>> > In the beginning I found it a lot more digestible when I didn’t have to
>> > deal with the mess of ‘)))))))’.
>>
>> I still find your layout more digestible, after years or using Scheme-
>> related languages.  I prefer it in C with its curly brackets, too.
>>
>> Now the parentheses in List are a syntactic price that's paid to make the
>> metaprogramming aspects more modular.  There's no question of what can
>> fit within what, as there would be with independent pieces of context-
>> free grammar.  I consider uniform means of reducing the parentheses
>> problem a boon.
>> In my own Lisp dialect I used an additional convention:  '/' in a list
>> signals the start of a sublist as its last element; thus ( a / b ) is
>> equivalent to ( a ( bb )), and ( a / b / c ) equivalent to ( a ( b ( c
>> ))).  This eliminated most of the closer-clusters.  It ended up having a
>> role similar to the that of ';' in other programming languages.
>> Unfortunately, '/' and ';' now have other, incompatible meanings in
>> Scheme.
>>
>> But most Scheme programmers object to any suggestion that brackets are a
>> problem for Real Programmers, as if methods of dealing with parentheses
>> attack their virility or something like that
>>

> I don't agree at all, and I do have some credentials in this area, having
> known and worked with Jerry Sussman for many years, as well as his Scheme
> cohorts. I don't think any of them would want to return to the
> MacLisp/Interlisp days, writing that stuff in Teco on a KSR-33. The Scheme
> indenters, such as you find in Emacs or Edwin, are invaluable. Try writing
> Scheme or Lisp in any of the vi variants, even vim, and you quickly find
> out what it's like to be without a competent indenter.
>
> I believe the resistance to Scheme has more to do with the simple syntax,
> and with the prefix notation, than with the use of parentheses vs. curly
> braces. People see
>
> (cond ((> x 5) (fun a b))) ;; I won't even attempt to properly indent this

I'm not sure how I fat-fingered this, but the message got sent prematurely,
destroying my credibility:-)

Anyway, you get my point -- writing that conditional in Python or C looks
more natural to people and so they prefer it to Scheme/Lisp on those narrow
terms, forgetting what working in Scheme buys you (personally, I'm more
productive in Scheme than any other language, and I've written code over a
long career in most of them; Python is also a strong contender in the
productivity dept., but there's a lot more to learn and keep in mind than
with Scheme; it's a much more complex language, even though the code looks
simple).

/Don