Git migration - next iteration

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Thu Nov 1 06:02:51 EDT 2012

On 31-10-12 14:54, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> writes:
>
>> Fellows,
>>
>> After some hiatus, I am now continuing to push our git migration. I
>> just pushed a patch to let the Windows build pull the gnucash-docs
>> sources from git instead of svn. Works fine on my test machine, we'll
>> see tomorrow if it also works on the build server.
>>
>> Then there are several items to discuss left. I'll start separate
>> mails for each to keep the discussions somewhat focused. Previous
>> attempts resulted in large threads with several discussions mixing up.
> FYI, I was looking into something like gitolite for code.gnucash.org
> Not sure if there is something better?

I don't know. I have never set up a git server myself. I have quickly
browsed through the basic documentation. At first sight I'm wondering
what advantages does gitolite provide compared to a plain ssh+git setup
similar to what we currently use for svn ?

Perhaps the ability to have multiple admins  that can manage the whole
git setup, which I consider an advantage.

I didn't see a web interface (other than a reference to the external
gitweb tool, which is used for the kernel). I don't know if we need one
for code.gnucash.org. I'm just thinking out loud as we had trac for svn.
But for git we can use github as webinterface.

Without wanting to push you, did you have a (rough) time frame in mind
to set something up for testing ?

Geert