GnuCash release schedule

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Tue Nov 6 07:54:24 EST 2012

Since we are talking future plans in other threads, I'd like to shift
focus back to the near future for a while: a new major gnucash release.

I have updated the release schedule on the wiki
(http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Release_Schedule#Goal) with the
information I have. A number of features are complete, some still need
to be started (guile 2.0 is on my list).

I'd like to ask the other developers if they can share what they are
working on that is still meant for 2.6 so I can complete the expected
feature list and establish an estimated release schedule for the 2.5
series eventually leading to the release of 2.6.

John's work on fixing the 2038 date issue should probably be included still.

I also know that Robert Fewell is still working on a register rewrite.
I'm not sure if he thinks this can be ready for 2.6 or not. It would be
great, but might be too much work still.

On my TODO list, I have support for guile 2.0, completing the git
migration, writing some unit tests for the new features I have added and
some small cleanups in those new features.

 From what I have now, I would propose to do a first 2.5 testing release
December 9, calling it a feature freeze. Features that are mostly done
or have a good chance of being finished in time for 2.6, will be
included. From there we can work towards a release of 2.6 somewhere in
March 2013.

What do you think ?

Geert