GnuCash XML spec (for non-C languages?)

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Tue Nov 6 08:14:11 EST 2012

On 06 Nov 2012, at 12:22 PM, Christian Stimming <christian at cstimming.de> wrote:

> Hence, even though it is still not yet realistic to find a complete
> specification of data store access independently from our C library, I think
> it should be possible to do a specification of a subset of the data. And
> applications that access and work on only that subset should then be possible.
> Such as, an Android app that access a gnucash SQL data base, and using only
> those specified features and data store elements. Voila, there we have our
> multi-user multi-platform gnucash within reach…

I think the biggest obstacle to using gnucash over the long term is the unstable data format, and the inability to interoperate. Once the data format is defined, everything flows from there.

I think a formal XSD of the XML format would be a good start.

I use an XSD that "works for me", but this isn't ideal, I want to use an XSD I can trust.

Regards,
Graham