GnuCash release schedule

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Nov 18 17:52:52 EST 2012

On Nov 19, 2012, at 3:37 AM, Sébastien Villemot <sebastien at debian.org> wrote:

> John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> writes:
>
>> On Nov 6, 2012, at 9:54 PM, Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> wrote:
>>
>>> I have updated the release schedule on the wiki
>>> (http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Release_Schedule#Goal) with the information I
>>> have. A number of features are complete, some still need to be started (guile
>>> 2.0 is on my list).
>>
>> It suddenly popped into my head while working on a discussion in gtk-devel-list
>> that RHEL isn't going to be ready for GC-2.6 in March unless the PCWorld author
>> [1] is wrong about when RHEL 7 will be out. I can't find anything with a
>> projected date for Debian Wheezy to go stable, so GC-2.6 may or may not be
>> supported there, either. I have no strong feelings either way about whether
>> that should impact our release date, but it's worth talking about.
>
> Debian Wheezy is already in deep freeze, and will therefore ship GnuCash
> 2.4 (even if GC 2.6 is released soon).

Yeah, that's not the concern. The concern is that Wheezy will be required to run Gnucash-2.6, as will RHEL-7, because we're depending on Gtk+-2.24 and Gllib-2.28.  Releasing 2.6 before those distros are released will freeze out Debian stable and RHEL users until the distros are released.

Regards,
John Ralls