Migrating gnucash website from svn to git

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Nov 26 18:12:51 EST 2012

On Nov 27, 2012, at 4:03 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> writes:
>
>> On Nov 25, 2012, at 8:51 PM, Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> wrote:
>>
>>> So you basically propose to get jeeves out the the equation first and only then go into the website migration. That's fine with me as well.
>>>
>>> Since gitolite will be installed on the same server that hosts the svn repos (code.gnucash.org, located at Derek's), keeping svn and git in sync should be easier there anyway. There's no need to include a port knock to update the local gitolite repos. The svn post-commit hook can do that straight away.
>>>
>>> So first steps:
>>> 1. create a gitolite repo for all 4 svn repos we currently have: gnucash, gnucash-docs, htdocs and meta. Initially they should still have the svn repos as upstreams.
>>>
>>> 2. set up triggers in the svn repos that will initiate a git pull in the relevant gitolite git repos, to keep svn and git fully in sync
>>>
>>> 3. install triggers in gitolite to push changes to github. This trigger can be based on the script already used by John on jeeves. It can probably be simplified a bit, because there's no need to run an svn update (or git update) before pushing the commits to github. The svn post-commit hook did this already.
>>> Drop the jeeves synching at this point.
>>>
>>> 4. continue step 3 from the original proposal. Step 6 can be skipped, because that's already done.
>>

>> There are only 3 SVN repos. The fourth repo on github (git-helper-scripts) has the svn-git interface scripts. One of these, git-svn-mirror, is the important jeeves script to get working with gitolite. The gitolite repos can be created with this script as well or they can be cloned from jeeves (which will take considerably less time). I haven't looked at the gitolite docs yet, so I won't comment further.
>>
>> Step 3 is trivial. The trigger just calls `git push`.
>
> I have gitolite set up on code.gnucash.org.  Basically it's a "git
> management solution" that lets us remotely manage a set of git repos.
> I've added all the current account holders, so everyone who can
> currently access code has a "gitolite" account.  Currently only Geert
> and I have access to the admin section.
>
> Gitolite effectively provides a "bare git repo" to each repository it
> manages.  I can then run system-wide or per-repo hooks to e.g. mail out
> commit messages or push to github.
>
> We haven't set up any hooks, yet.  I'd like to at least get the email
> hook set up before we do anything else.
>
> We then have to figure out how to best set up a "git push --all" to push
> to github, especially when the bare repo isn't a clone itself.  This is
> where my knowledge of git falls short so I'm definitely going to need
> help here.
>
> My recommendation is that we first work on migrating the gnucash repo.
> Then we can work on the gnucash-docs and htdocs repos.  So worrying
> about the website is, IMHO, premature at this stage.

OK. Sounds like you've got the next action item, get the email hook set up. After that, you can install git-svn-mirror from Github and work out how to trigger it from svn. I think you can clone the Github repos to save some time (it takes several hours to make a fresh git-svn clone of an svn repo), then use git-svn-mirror to update it directly from svn.

A bare git repo is one that has no working files and puts all of the git state files in the main directory instead of in a .git directory. You can't commit to it, or checkout branches, but you can do just about anything else, including pushing to another repo.

I highly recommend Pro Git [1] to help you go from git rookie to expert. It's free online or you can buy a dead-trees copy for bedtime reading.

Regards,
John Ralls

[1] http://git-scm.com/book