MySQL Intergration and Android App

Benjamin L. Naber benjamin at project23d.com
Tue Nov 27 20:51:32 EST 2012

I'm wondering if some of those bugs are from users that are not setting
up MySQL correctly, as I had some strange errors telling me I needed to
update a libdbd or libdbi on the Ubuntu Linux computer.

I looked around for days how to do this, but nothing came to me that
didn't involve smashing the computer with a hammer and redoing
everything.

So, the next thing I did was try accessing GNUCash using MySQL for data
storage on another computer. It gave me the same exact error. I was
pretty sure that WinXP did not use file libraries like that so I
suspected the Ubuntu Linux server to be defunct. However, I had made
tables with GNUCash before on the same WinXP computer, so something just
didn't seem to add up.

Long ago, my first attempt was done blindly not having a damn clue what
I was doing in MySQL. I just guessed at what I needed to do to create a
MySQL database and assign a user and some permissions. I gave the user
assigned to the gnucash database all privileges and let it go from
there. It worked fine.

Then, about a week ago when I really starting messing around again, and
that is when those pesky errors made their appearance. This time, I
created a different user with less permissions on MySQL, and GNUCash
didn't like it.

So I mimicked the permissions from the first user I created for database
gnucash, and it worked fine for both starting a new budget, and for
saving an existing one that was first started and stored on the local
computer as an XML file.

Now I just need to find exactly what permissions are needed so as not to
allow crazy stuff from happening.

~Benjamin