Documentation file format

Christian Stimming christian at cstimming.de
Sat Dec 14 16:32:52 EST 2013

Am Freitag, 13. Dezember 2013, 15:47:18 schrieb Mike Evans:

> > > Since no-one has mentioned it yet, what about asciidoc?  It's much
> > > simpler that the xml we have now, is very easy to learn, it is plain
> > > text, it handles multi-part books, and AFAIK the current docbook can be
> > > converted to asciidoc without *too* much effort.

I consider asciidoc also not very accessible for non-programmer writers. IMHO
a new file format for our documentation should be much easier accessible for
documentation writers. Those people are by definition almost surely no
programmers. I don't think the mindset of asciidoc meets their approach to
writing documentation. So: no, I don't think asciidoc is an improvement of the
current docbook format. Sorry.

> Conversion: I found a conversion tool that I *thought* might do the job,
> SaxonHE9, a java tool (ugh), but it doesn't do it very well.  I tried a
> couple of pages.  Some post conversion cleanup was needed to remove
> artifacts but, the major issue was that image placeholders went missing. So
> not good enough to make it an easy convert.  More research required on that
> one.

A proper conversion needs to be found for sure, but on the other hand, some
manual work for a switch-over is fine as well. But the main reason for a new
file format is what I've discussed before.

Regards,

CHristian