Github Migration

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Feb 2 00:38:32 EST 2013

On Feb 1, 2013, at 8:57 PM, Mike Alexander <mta at umich.edu> wrote:

> --On February 1, 2013 2:35:36 PM -0800 John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 1, 2013, at 2:14 PM, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:
>>
>>> Just a heads-up to everyone: Derek and I are migrating the Github
>>> repositories now. The old ones have been renamed to e.g.
>>> gnucash-old, so if you want to keep using them while we work, just
>>> go to your local repo and say git remote set-url origin
>>> git://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash-old or gnucash-docs-old or
>>> gnucash-htdocs-old. While you're at it, you may want to rename the
>>> directory as well.
>>
>> And we're done, so everybody start converting to the new repos!
>
> Has anyone been able to get the instructions at <http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Git#Migration_Notice> to work?

Yup, works fine, fails safe, drains to the bilge.
>  Are you supposed to change the url for "origin" in the old clone of the repository as described above?
You can if you're old local isn't up to date, but since the last change on "gnucash" is yours I don't think you need worry.
>  If I do, then the "get fetch transfer" step says there are no common elements and clones everything.
That's correct, and the point of the exercise.

> If not I get a bunch of unresolvable references on this step after which none of the transfer/xxx branches exist.
Really? That's interesting. I'm testing that avenue now.
>  I suspect that my git repository is just so hosed up that it won't convert easily.
No, that's actually hard to do. You can always blow away the new repo and re-clone it. The old repository doesn't get changed by the procedure, so there's no way to screw it up, but even if you do you can just do a git reset --hard origin/trunk or whatever to put it back the way it was before you started.

Regards,
John Ralls