no git patchset from .news files? (was Re: gnucash-htdocs branch master updated. svn_last-12-g3580119)

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Thu Jul 11 15:09:33 EDT 2013

On Thu, July 11, 2013 2:37 pm, John Ralls wrote:

[snip]

> The post-receive-email script is run from post-receive as follows:
>   postrecmail="$PWD/hooks/post-receive-email"
>   export envelopesender="$GL_USER"
>
>   # Send summary mail to gnucash-changes
>   export recipients="$(git config hooks.mailinglist1)"
>   export custom_showrev="$(git config hooks.showrev1)"
>   echo -e "$revs" | "$postrecmail" -x
>
>   # Send full patches to gnucash-patches
>   export recipients="$(git config hooks.mailinglist2)"
>   export custom_showrev="$(git config hooks.showrev2)"
>   echo -e "$revs" | "$postrecmail" -x
>
> What are the contents [hooks] block in the gnucash-htdocs bare repo's
> config?

[hooks]
	showrev2 = "git show -C %s; echo"
	mailinglist1 = gnucash-patches at gnucash.org
	showrev1 = git rev-list -1 --pretty %s

> IIRC the comments are reversed -- that full patches are supposed to
> go to gnucash-changes and summaries to gnucash-patches, but that doesn't
> have anything to do with what's actually going on.

Yes, the comments are reversed.  Feel free to fix that.

> I don't think a complete rewrite is necessary, just a tweak to the code
> which writes the subject header: If there's only one change it can write
> the first line to the subject, otherwise it can say something like "$repo
> $branch received multiple commits".

I'm fine with this, too.

> A couple of other noise-reducing changes to consider:
>
> * Lose the "parent" URL. There's a link for it on the commit page.

Which is the 'parent' URL?  Is that the 'from' line?

> * Suppress printing $LOGBEGIN and LOGEND (the lines with all the hyphens)
> unless something's going to get printed between them -- or better yet,
> just lose them. It's pretty obvious what's log, what's patch, and what's
> summary. They don't need delimiting.

I am fine with this change.

> * Lose the footer. "hooks/post-recieve" isn't information.

Also fine with this.  Not sure why it is in there.

> Regards,
> John Ralls

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745