Navigation 2.5.1

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Tue May 21 04:54:04 EDT 2013

On Monday 20 May 2013 11:28:36 Derek Atkins wrote:
> > I've also noticed that the new register is much slower than the old
> > one entering and deleting transactions.  It takes about 8 seconds
> > between accepting a transaction and when the the transaction is
> > actually entered and GnuCash is ready for something else.  I'm not
> > sure what the problem is, but it's annoying.
>
> Could this just be a failure to disable the gui-refresh while
> committing the changes?

That crossed my mind as well.

Robert: this may be something to check when you're ready again: did you insert
gnc_suspend_gui_refresh and gnc_resume_gui_refresh calls at the right locations when
switching cells ?

Without these calls there probably would be a whole explosion of gui refresh events while the
model is being updated internally.

On the other hand it may also be that the GtkTreeView is slower than our highly optimized old
register code. I remember a comment from Robert somewhere that he got good performance
when limiting the number of entries in the register to 1000. I don't know how well
GtkTreeView scales to large datasets.

Geert