some questions on accounts/commodities

Sébastien de Menten sdementen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 10:17:25 EST 2014

hello,

I have some questions on gnucash behavior regarding some "limit" changes:
- a placeholder account: an account can be converted to a placeholder
account even if there are splits related to it. Is it expected behavior ?
or should the placeholder flag be selectable only if there are no split in
the account.
- once an account has splits, it is still possible to change the commodity
of the account (ie we can move from EUR to YHOO stock without any warning).
Is it expected behavior ?
- once an account has splits, it is still possible to change the
commodity_scu (smallest fraction) of the account (ie we can move from 1/100
to 1/10). The existing splits are not adjusted to the new commodity_scu. Is
it expected behavior ?
- similarly the "fraction traded" in a commodity (non currency) can be
changed even though accounts related to it have already splits that may use
higher precision that the new "fraction traded". Is it expected behavior ?
- in the security editor, are "symbol/abbreviation" and "display symbol"
the same field ?

I was wondering if there was not a set of characteristics of the
accounts/commodity that are "write once" (ie, they are defined at the
creation of the account/commodity but they can't be modified once they have
other objects, like splits, relating to them). Is it more or less correct ?

kr

sebastien