Yahoo and Google start to list Bitcoin (BTC) currency

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Jun 28 10:18:33 EDT 2014

On Jun 28, 2014, at 12:20 PM, Rainer Dorsch <ml at bokomoko.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Yahoo and Google start to list the bitcoin currency
>
> http://thenextweb.com/google/2014/06/12/google-and-yahoo-finance-now-show-the-price-of-bitcoin/
>
> e.g.
>
> http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=BTCUSD=X
>
> What is the status of the addition of BTC to gnucash?

You could use it now as a security (which the US Internal Revenue Service requires), except that the max denominator is still 1E6. You could work around that by using milli-bitcoin with a 1E5 max denominator.

2.8 will be able to support the additional required precision, though Christian Stimming and I are at the moment having a frank discussion about what's the best way to get there: See the "Rethinking Numerics" thread in this list.

It isn't going to be treated as a currency until the ISO's 4217 Maintenance Agency says it is one.

Regards,
John Ralls