gnucash 2.6.2: Multiple changes pushed

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Mar 7 10:02:21 EST 2014

On Mar 7, 2014, at 1:52 AM, Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> wrote:

> On Saturday 01 March 2014 21:19:29 John Ralls wrote:
>>        at  https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/tree/9b299fc822b9db2d51
>> e9a0ccc3a3c46e69b3b5b3 (tag)
>> tagging  667b581f977c7ac2ab5647f916192c92ba241b31 (commit) tagged
>> by  John Ralls
>>        on  Sat Mar 1 18:19:08 2014 -0800
>>

>> Tag GnuCash 2.6.2
>
> John,
>
> I notice that our release tags appear on branched commits. I mean the release that gets tagged
> is not part of the master branch. While working in svn this was expected as svn really did
> create a separate commit per tag. For git I find this a bit unexpected.
>
> The side effect is that the release tag mails include all commits since the initial commit instead
> of only since the previous release.
>
> This is because the mail script looks for a previous tag on the same branch to calculate
> changes in this release.
>
> So I just wonder in what way to fix this ? Do we need the tags to be on a separate branch or not
> ?

No, we don't want this.

The quick fix requires reparenting f63e646 to the 2.6.2 tag commit which will require a force push and will generate a not-fast-forward warning for everyone when pulling.

The Gnome repos don't behave this way, so we must have something misconfigured somewhere. I'll look into it later this morning when I get back from grocery shopping.

Regards,
John Ralls