Building on Windows - status update

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Wed May 7 10:36:33 EDT 2014

On Wednesday 07 May 2014 16:12:36 Geert Janssens wrote:
> > Other thoughts:
> >
> > As things are changing fairly quickly at the moment is the
> > presumption in bootstrap_win_dev.vbs
> > that I've got both
> >
> >   gnucash-on-windows.git
> >   gnucash.git
> >
> > a good sign that they don't need to be updated?
I didn't answer this very clearly. The bootstrap script won't update
anything by itself. I will only set up a minimal environment to start
from. This install script on the other hand will update any dependency
that is not up to date anymore. It will however not update the sources
as that should be a user choice. The sources are in the two directories
above and I explained in my previous mail how they could be updated.

The idea behind this is that most people interested in building gnucash
themselves will do so to make changes or test versions that are not
available. In most of these cases the version to start from should be
determined by the user, not by the build system. I would even be very
disturbing if the build system decided on its own to update the sources
in this case.

If you really want automatic updates you could run build_daily.sh in the
buildserver directory instead of install.sh/dist.sh. This script is
written to build the most recent version of gnucash completely
unattended at regular intervals and will include updating both
repositories.

> > It isn't as though
> > they are particularly large.  At the moment I'm grabbing
> > gnucash-on-windows every time I build but leaving gnucash alone as
> > that will have changed less and it is the Win bit we're playing
> > with.
> >
> >  Good practice or not?
>
> None of the recent changes would require a rerun of
> bootstrap_win_dev.vbs. There may be one change regarding html help but
> I haven't decided on this yet.
>
> There is also no need to grab the two repositories again. Instead you
> can use git to pull in the updates.
>
> You can do this as follows (example is for gnucash-on-windows.git but
> works the same way for gnucash.git):
> - Open a Windows Explorer
> - Right-click on the gnucash-on-windows.git directory
> - Select Git Bash. This will open a command prompt.
> - Enter one command: git pull
> - Close the command prompt again
>
> This should probably be added in the README file...

It is now :)

Geert