backend encryption / security

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Wed May 7 14:40:45 EDT 2014

>The developers are generally agreed that we are NOT interested in this.
>

>>   (b) although I will probably
>>manage to code the open and save routines, I'm not sure I will not get
>>stuck somewhere, in which case it will either remain as an unfinished
>>project, or I will need some help from somebody more experienced.
>>

>I think we would help you if you get stuck, but I would recommend
>instead that security/encryption should be done by a tool that is
>designed to do security/encryption, and GnuCash should remain its own
>core competency:  accounting.
>

>>Your thoughts?

Yes I have some thoughts. Would it not be far better to simply provide
instructions for how to install, set up, and use software that provides
for an encrypted partition/disk? Or rather, refer people to a site
offering such software and our part of it just how to arrange that (once
the encrypted disk, partition, directory, exists) the gnucash data would
be stored there.

That would not deal with the "while in RAM" but would address the logs
not being encrypted since these are created in the same directory the
main data file is in.

Michael D Novack