New GnuCash Release, 2.6.4

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Oct 5 16:20:22 EDT 2014

On Oct 5, 2014, at 12:00 PM, Benno Schulenberg <coordinator at translationproject.org> wrote:

> Hello John,
>
> On 2014-10-05 01:35, John Ralls wrote:
>> The new tarball is at
>> http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/gnucash/gnucash-2.6.4.tar.bz2
>
> Thanks for announcing.  However... I see you have accepted a PO file
> for Latvian (lv) directly from a translator, not via the TP, although
> the language is not marked as external at the TP.  Please keep me posted
> when you do that.  Please keep a little list of domains that usually come
> through the TP, and yell when you accept outside of the TP.
>
> Should Latvian now be marked as external, or not?

Benno,

Valdis Vītoliņš has provided the Latvian translation for GnuCash since 2009. It appears that in July 2010 Rihards Priedītis took Valdis’s translation, changed a few strings and the header, and submitted it to the TP. Cristian Marchi duly applied it. Valdis submitted an updated file a few weeks later and has kept the translation up-to-date since. Meanwhile, like most of the translations on the TP, the TP’s lv.po has been retemplated against each new version but hasn’t been maintained since. This is clear from the steady decline in translated strings since the release of 2.4.0 in December 2010; I’ve confirmed a few by checking the “PO-Revision-Date” field in the 2.6.4 po. It appears that only Catalan, Danish, Dutch, and Swedish are actively maintained now.

Maybe Valdis will remember whether Rihards even asked to take his translation and move it into the TP, but this certainly doesn’t fall into the category of “usually come through the TP”. Yes, it should be marked external.

Regards,
John Ralls