Doxygen - is there a status?

Frank H. Ellenberger frank.h.ellenberger at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 07:13:14 EDT 2014

Hi,

I have a different view:

Am 04.09.2014 um 00:28 schrieb John Ralls:
> We’ve tried in-source design documentation, both in plain text files
> and in the module descriptions in the Doxygen-docs.

should read "Only few of us ..." - perhaps others are unsure about the how?

> It wasn’t maintained.
Perhaps we should
* not accept patches without the respective doxygen entries.
* improve http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Doxygen
** Which parts should have and which not doxygen entries,
** Which elements/styles do we use, which not, ...
* reference it in http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/CodingStandard ?

> We don’t need to repeat that experiment.

It was never made with full force.

> Let’s try moving it all to the wiki instead, and where appropriate
> link the API documentation. That has the added advantage that you can
> update the design docs directly without having to propose patches.
>
> Both the Doxygen docs and the wiki are viewable in one viewer: The
> web browser. They can even link to each other when that’s
> appropriate.

But not if I am isolated from code.gnucash.org. With one make command I
have the doxygen files, but without a route (code down, provider
problem, no phone net, ...) I have no wiki.

> Remember as well the discussions about our goals for the next two dev
> cycles. The design will change somewhat in support of those goals.

IIRC from my own experience, a newby sees something which would be
simple to improve, but it needs too much time to find the right file. So
the overview and probably some cross reference needs improvement -
different types of references should be much easier to maintain in
doxygen than in a wiki.

Surely only few global files like
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Dependencies => README.dependencies can be
kept sychronous.