GnuCash Android v1.6.0 pre-beta

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 10:57:53 EDT 2015

On 4/29/2015 4:29 AM, Ngewi Fet wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 3:16 AM, David Carlson
> <david.carlson.417 at gmail.com <mailto:david.carlson.417 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Thanks for those references.  I also found that by using 'File
>     Manager" I found that Gnucash Android has created
>     /storage/emulated/0/org.gnucash.android/backups and .../exports to
>     keep those in resp. so now I can find those.
>

> GnuCash Android does automatically create backups (before irreversible
> delete operations or explicitly) in the folders you found.
>

>     I do not see a way to keep multiple data files, which would be
>     nice for testing some features as well as general use.
>

> At the moment only one book can be open at a time. You can import a
> different book (NavDrawer -> Open...) and GnuCash will backup the
> current book and open the new one.
> You can always reopen the old one from the backup on SD card (Settings
> -> Restore backup...).
>

>     I also noticed in the read me in one place it states that it can
>     import gnucash desktop accounts and transactions but I have not
>     found a way to import transactions from xml or the qif import that
>     was referenced somewhere.  Those features must be coming soon.
>

> If you use GnuCash XML format on the desktop, you can just feed that
> same file into GnuCash Android and it will import your accounts and
> transactions (including scheduled transactions).
> This feature has existed for quite a while. I guess I need to update
> the account import blog post guide. QIF and SQLite imports are not
> supported.
>
> Regards,
> Ngewi F.

I am still near the beginning of my learning curve even for basic
Android usage, so I will be making a lot of mistakes.  P
<mailto:gnucash-devel at gnucash.org>lease bear with me.

I was able to open a copy of my regular desktop XML file with the
Android Play store release of Gnucash for Android before installing the
pre-beta.  It looks like all the accounts are there, but so far I have
not imported any transactions.  I found the tool to convert a regular
transaction into a scheduled transaction, but I have not tried it yet.
If transactions were supposed to come along with the accounts, they did
not.  I will try to make a small test file to see if size is a factor.

I do want to import some transactions because I want some examples of
multi-line transaction splits in my Android data.  A lot of normally
trivial actions are not working for me right now, like keystrokes are
not going into this e-mail correctly.  Right now I am incredibly
frustrated with many completely unrelated things.

David C