UserVoice integration in GnuCash Android

Ngewi Fet ngewif at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 07:53:08 EDT 2015

> Ngewi,
>
> Please remember to copy the list. Others might have useful input.

oh, sorry, will check in the future. My email client usually does it
automatically.

> I don’t see an obvious way to create a separate product under GnuCash’s
> account, but it’s quite possible that I don’t have the necessary privs.
>
> As you’re well aware GnuCash has a long history of providing support via
> the mailing lists where we’ve established an active community andod using
> Gnome Bugzilla for bug tracking. It would be silly to start over on UV, and
> I wouldn’t want to create an impression among some users that it was an
> acceptable source of support. Absent the ability to create a separate
> presence that’s clearly for GfA and not GC I wouldn’t want to enable those
> capabilities for GfA.

I am in complete agreement with you on this. I wasn't suggesting that
GnuCash migrate over to UserVoice all of a sudden. It already has an
established mailing list and bug tracker that work fine.
I was thinking about something separate, which is clearly for GnuCash
Android. I wouldn't want there to be any confusion there.

> I don’t remember Christian ever asking for money from the tip jar to pay
> for the UV subscription, but perhaps he set that up directly with Derek or
> Geert. If not he’s paying for it out of pocket. In any case he’s the only
> “owner” for the UV project and the only one who can even add you as an
> admin. (Another reason to copy the list. Christian does seem to monitor it
> even though he seldom posts.)

Ok, I kinda assumed that it was sponsored by the project and so the Android
app could be easily added. If this is not the case, then I hope to find out
more from Christian.

> I see that you’re using the Github issue tracker. Is that not working out
> for you to the extent that you thing UV would be better? As for the FAQ,
> you have a wiki enabled on Github but haven’t actually put any content into
> it.

GitHub issues are working out alright actually (so far), and I do not
intend to replace it with UV. I enabled the wiki so as to add some stuff to
it, but I realized that when viewed on a mobile device, the GitHub wiki is
not mobile browser friendly (or maybe I just didn't figure out how to
configure it). I would like a solution which can be well integrated into a
mobile app.
For this reason, I also started a GitHub pages site
<http://codinguser.github.io/gnucash-android/> to do some user
documentation (work in progress) that can be integrated into the app at
some point in the future, meanwhile the wiki can be used for developer
documentation.

> Would you do better with UV? In fact the only documentation I see on your
> Github project is the README, no mention even of a mailing list. Are people
> mailing to you directly?

There is a core dev mailing list and Trello board (since beginning of the
project) but this is currently limited to contributors for planning and
roadmap discussions. But these are not publicly accessible.

So far, users just emailed feedback to the app email address which is
forwarded to me and I respond. As the number of users grow, of course this
becomes unsustainable.
I tried out the UserVoice sample app
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.uservoice.helpcenter>
and I found it a good way to have a well integrated help section in the
app. Common topics can be added to the FAQ and popular ones rise to the
top.
Also, there are many issues which users would report directly through the
app, but would not do so if they had to sign up to some bug tracker and
post it. So the integrated workflow helps with getting feedback.

Of course if using UV is not possible, I will create a mailing list and
include an email link in the app as a backup solution.
I was just thinking that there might be a better way with UserVoice.

Regards,
Ngewi F.